21 June 2014

Artist spotlight: Lindsay Bottos

I've decided to start featuring artists and other creative persons that catch my eye on here, as after all this blog was created to act as an outlet for any inspiration, interests and ideas that I come across, and hopefully inspire others who read my posts too!

Although I only discovered her work recently, I am already finding myself obsessed with Lindsay Bottos' work. A photography graduate from the Maryland Institute College of Art, USA, she also has a minor in gender studies, her interest in which is evident in her work. 

Her projects often focus around personal issues and moving, emotive narratives of relationships, friendship and even bullying and abuse, making her artwork incredibly relatable for many who may view it. She received internet publicity for her recent project titled 'Anonymous' in which Bottos fought back at her anonymous haters by exposing their awful messages on top of webcam selfies. 
'Since I first began an online presence at the age of thirteen, I’ve been receiving anonymous harassment. Women, especially young women, receive an astonishingly disproportionate amount of harassment online ranging from comments on appearance to threats of rape and violence. In this series, I attempt to explore this issue by contrasting some of the malicious comments I’ve received with self-portraits. The portraits, or “selfies”, are recreations of the original images that the harassing comments were addressing. With this simple gesture, I intend to demonstrate the cruelness of the comments while exposing and examining this phenomenon.'


Her 2012 collection titled 'I Don't Really Miss You' consists of photographs and mementos sewn onto delicate, lacy fabrics in small embroidery hoops, adorned with hand embroidered journalled thoughts. This project documents the feelings surrounding a break-up, publicising a personal experience but creating a relatable account of heartbreak that we can all identify with. I love the delicate appearance of the pieces in this collection, using hand embroidery and muted colours to create a soft and feminine yet melancholic mood to ironically deliver blunt and powerful messages straight from the artist’s own mind.
'I make very personal work and I find therapy in putting personal information and emotions out into the world for anyone to see.'


I love Lindsay's personal and heartfelt narratives that she conveys with brutal honesty in her photography and mixed media work, while somehow also presenting a strong 'girl power' vibe. I could go on for days rambling about how much I love all of her work, but why don't you take a look at it for yourself at lindsaybottos.com

No comments:

Post a Comment